Pune to Host Preliminary Round of IIHM’s Young Chef Olympiad 2023
The IIHM Young Chef Olympiad 2023 will be hosted by the International Institute of Hotel Management to honour the young and bright chefs across the globe
19th January, Pune: IIHM (International Institute of Hotel Management) Young Chef Olympiad (YCO) 2023 held a press conference in Pune today to announce the launch of Young Chef Olympiad 2023. India will host the 9th edition of the Young Chef Olympiad to honour the upcoming chefs from 60 countries. This platform gives an opportunity to budding chefs across the globe to present their talent while also showcasing world cuisine through this competition. Held under the auspices of the International Hospitality Council, UK, the competition is organized by IIHM, a part of the Indi smart Group.
Round 1 of the competition will be held over 2 days in Delhi, Bangalore, Pune, Hyderabad and Goa post where all countries shall reach the cultural capital of the city – Kolkata for the Grand Final, Plate trophy and Dr Bose Challenge trophy. France, Saudi Arabia, England, Botswana, Egypt, Netherlands, Oman, Uganda, Turkey, and Thailand will be competing against each other in Pune for Round 1 of the competition. The 9th International YCO will demonstrate a panel of the finest Chef Judges comprising of some of the best-known chefs and hospitality stalwarts from all over the globe. Coveted dignitaries from the industry like Chef Steve Munkley (Vice President of Craft Guild of Chefs, UK and former Executive Chef Royal Garden Hotel, London. England), Chef Rahul Akerkar (Master Chef, Restaurateur and Founder of Indigo. India), Chef Paul Jervis (Programme and Operational Manager for Culinary Arts, Westminster Kingsway College England), John Crockett (Senior Chef Lecturer – Cardiff & Vale College), and Peter A Jones (Dean – eHotelier Academy) will be in Pune to evaluate the competition.
Speaking at the conference about the Young Chef Olympiad 2023, Dr Suborno Bose, Chairman, YCO Global Council & CEO of the International Hospitality Council, London & Founder & Chief Mentor Indismart Group, said, “YCO is a great platform that brings together many culturally diversified countries under one roof to celebrate the diversity of food. Sustainability being the theme of the event encourages youths to explore the international culinary competition and an opportunity to introduce the special qualities of their national cuisine to the rest of the culinary world. This competition is all about fostering the spirit of youth, friendship and inclusiveness.”
Mr Rupinder Singh Khurana FIIHM, Director IIHM Pune & Executive Committee Member for YCO 2023; Ms Sangeeta Bhattacharjee, Associate Director IIHM Pune & Assistant Adjudicator YCO 2023; Chef Hoshang Debta, HOD Food Production at IIHM Pune and Technical Judge YCO 2023; Chef Ritesh Sen, Corporate General Manager F&B Concept Hospitality Group and distinguished YCO observer were also part of the press conference.
The Welcoming Opening Ceremony will take place on Sunday, 29th January 2023 in New Delhi followed by Sustainability Congress and the competition will start on Monday, 30th January 2023. Round 1 of the competition will be held over 2 days in Delhi, Bangalore, Pune, Hyderabad and Goa post where all countries shall reach the cultural capital of the city – Kolkata for the Grand Final, Plate trophy and Dr Bose Challenge trophy. The leading 10 competitors from Round 1 will compete in the Grand Final which will take place on Saturday, February 4th, 2023. A further 10 competitors filling the positions of 11 to 20 will also be declared and compete for the YCO Plate Trophy on Friday 3rd February 2023. The remaining competitors will compete in the Dr Bose Challenge – a unique opportunity for these competitors to demonstrate flair and intuitive culinary skills.
United World of Young Chef will be hosted on 1st Feb 2023 at IIHM Global Campus, Kolkata between 6.30 pm to 8.30 pm where the national dishes will be displayed on specially set up counters with the respective national flags and any other traditional props. 12 portions of the dish will have to be cooked per team for sampling. The event will be exclusive and will be attended by the hospitality fraternity in India and other special invitees such as ambassadors and High Commissioners, top business owners, celebrities corporate chefs, executive chefs, media, Members of the International Hospitality Council, the panel of YCO Judges, celebrity chefs among many others.
The following are the jury member for YCO 2023:
- Chairman of the Jury: Prof. David Foskett – MBE, CMA, FIH, Bed(Hons)
- The Principal Judge and Mentor: The Iconic Padmashree Chef Sanjeev Kapoor
- Chief Judge: Chef Brian Turner CBE, Chef Restaurateur, TV Celebrity Chef and Writer; President of the Royal Academy of Culinary; Fellow of the City Guilds of London Institute; President of Bocuse d’Or UK
- Deputy Chief Judges: Chef Andreas Muller, Programme Director (International Cuisine) at VTC, Hong Kong
- Chef Rahul Akerkar: Master Chef, Restaurateur and Founder of Indigo, India
- Chef John Wood: Michelin Star Chef and Founder of Kitchen Cut, England
Other Senior Judges:
- Chef Gary MacLean: Culinary Educator, Winner of UK’s Masterchef the Professionals and Scotland’s National Chef, Scotland
- Chef Steve Munkley: Vice President of Craft Guild of Chefs, UK and Former Executive Chef Royal Garden Hotel, London, England
Other Celebrity Judges:
- Chef Anton Edelman- Chef, cookery writer, and former maître chef des cuisines at the Savoy Hotel in London
- Chef Enzo Oliveri – the Sicilian Chef
- Chef Ranveer Brar – Indian Celebrity Chef
- Chef Abhijit Saha – Celebrity Chef and Author
- Chef Stefan Hogan – Executive Head Chef Corinthia Palace Hotel, Malta
- Chef Steven Carter – Executive Chef at Jorgen Boodles, London
- Chef Karl Guggenmos –Former University Dean of Culinary Education, Johnson & Wales University
- Chef Henry Brosi –Former Executive Chef, Dorchester and Current Executive Chef Four Seasons Hotel, London
- Chef Mario Perera – Executive Chef Dorchester Collection, London
- Chef Garth Stroebel – Celebrated South African Masterchef
- Chef John Williams – Executive Chef The Ritz
- Chef Sarah Hartnett – Pastry Chef and Chocolatier
- Chef Manjunath Mural – Michelin Star Chef, Singapore
- Chef Eric Neo – Executive Chef and President Singapore Chefs Association
- Chef Jorgen Lindh – Chef Faculty, Virginska Gymnasiet, Sweden and Chef Oscar Guttierez – Celebrity Chef, Mexico