POSITIVE EFFECTS OF GLUTEN FREE FOODS.
By Pavithra N Raj, Chief Dietician, Columbia Asia Referral Hospital Yeshwanthpur
Gluten is a protein found in wheat, barley, rye. A gluten-free diet is generally helpful for a person suffering from celiac disease which is an autoimmune condition. Where gluten damages the lining of the small intestine causing mal absorption.
Excluding gluten-free food for such kind of a person may help resolve diarrhea, bloating, abdominal pain and flatulence problems.
For others who wish to cut gluten in their diet, it’s important to understand the effects on the nutrient part.
Avoiding foods containing gluten can lead to some nutritional deficiency like iron, folate, vitamin B12 like thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, magnesium, zinc and fibre.
People on gluten-free diet should include some amount of probiotic either in natural form or supplements for beneficial gut and to reduce abdominal issues.
So what are the foods which are allowed and restricted for gluten-free diet are:
|GLUTEN FREE FOODS
|GLUTEN CONTAINING FOODS
|Cereal & Products||Grains include amaranth seeds, buckwheat, millet, quinoa, rice, sorghum Arrowroot, corn, soya, tapioca, sago, jowar, millets like ragi and maize.
|Wheat, whole wheat, bran, barley, oats, pasta (macaroni, noodles, semolina, spaghetti), breads (white and whole wheat).
All baked foods made from wheat, semolina – wafers and cones, pizzas, rusks, muffins, biscuits, buns, doughnuts, cakes.
|Milk & products||Curds, yoghurt, buttermilk.||Milk and milk products like cheese, cream, butter, paneer, ice cream.|
|Eggs, chicken, meat & fish||All fresh meat and poultry.||Any preparation cooked in batter, bread crumbs, flour or sauce – sausages, burgers, and fish fingers, tinned and frozen meat.|
|Vegetables & Fruits||Fresh fruits and vegetables.
Tinned fruit in natural juices or
|Tinned vegetables in sauce, mayonnaise.Fruit pies.|
|Desserts & confectionery||Homemade pudding from permitted ingredients with custard, rice kheer, jelly.||Bread pudding, pancake, pies soufflés, tarts, Chocolates.|
|Beverages||Black Coffee, black tea, green tea.||Malted drinks like Horlicks, bournvita, instant drinking chocolate|
|Soups, sauce, & Gravy spreads||Homemade form permitted ingredients
|Tinned, packed bottled sauces. Gravy mixes, ready to cook foods (soups, gravies),
Sandwich spread and chocolate spread.
|Condiments||Check that no flour has been added to spices, homemade pickles.||Ready mix curry powder, thickened pickles and chutney|
|Raising agents||Yeast||Baking powder|
|Nuts & savory snacks||Plain nuts.||Flavoured nuts.|
|Fat & oils||All plant oils.||Wheat germ oil and margarines.|
Here are a few handy tips to help you out:
- Firstly, have a positive attitude towards the diet. Think about all the food you can eatinstead of dwelling on those which are no longer suitable.
- To ensure a good supply of iron include pulse, lentils, nuts and green vegetables.
- Avoid drinking tea with meals. Instead have a fruit juices rich in vitamin C like orange, lemon with your major meals.
- Whenever buying any product, check on the ingredient list for hidden forms of gluten. Simple words like malted barley and wheat solids will give you clues to avoid the product
RAJGIRA PARATHA RECIPE
- 1 cup Rajgirakaatta (Amaranth flour)
- ½ teaspoon Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed
- 2 Green chilies chopped finely
- 1 medium or ½ cup Potatoes boiled, peeled and mashed
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves chopped finely
- 1 ½ tablespoon Ghee + more for cooking paratha
- 1 tablespoon Plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Water or more or less
- Rock Salt (sendhanamak) to taste
Method of Preparation:
- First, boil the potato. Let it cool to touch. Then peel it and mash it well. make sure there are no chunks of potatoes.
- Take rajgiraatta in a bowl. Add salt, ginger paste, chopped green chilies, cilantro, and mashed potato.
- Mix well. It will look crumbly.
- Then add ghee and yogurt. Mix it and start to knead the dough. It will almost come together.
- If needed, then use water to knead a dough. I used 2 tablespoons of water. And make a ball. The water quantity may vary depending on how much moisture is present in your potato. This dough is crumbly.
- Cover it and let it rest for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, divide the dough into 5 equal portions and make smooth balls.
- Roll it very gently. Because of its crumbly texture, you cannot make smooth edges. Keep rolling, keep sealing edges, and make 5-inch diameter paratha.
- Heat the Tawa or skillet on medium heat.
- Apply some ghee on it and flip it press gently using a spatula and cook until you see some brown spot on bottom side.
- Apply some ghee again on the other side and flip and cook on that side.
- When done take it out from skillet and put in insulated container to keep it hot. Repeat the same procedure for rest paratha.